Parents whose baby died in a hotel room alone as they got drunk in the bar admit ‘it was terrible mistake’

A baby girl died after being left in a car seat overnight in a hotel room while her parents ‘socialised’, a serious case review heard.

Ten-week-old Savannah had been   left in a room with her two siblings while her parents socialised downstairs in the hotel lounge she was placed in a car seat in the upright position by her parents because a carry cot was ‘too heavy’ to carry up three flights of stairs.

Margaret Atherton, 36, and Steven Burke, 29, who lost two other children, say they’ve “been through hell” in a warning to others.

A report into the case read: “Child M’s (Savannah) death occurred in the morning, following the second night of the family’s holiday.

“The three youngest children were settled for the night in the attic bedroom.

“The twin infants were placed to sleep in their car seats which were

upright on the bottom bunk bed.

“The parents had planned to use a sleep system which included carry cots, but this was reported to be too heavy to carry up the three sets of stairs to the attic room.”

In July 2016 the family from Wigan, Greater Manchester. had travelled for a four-day holiday to Blackpool with a one-year-old and 10-week premature twins.

The twins had been placed in their car seats propped up on bunk beds.

Top